Wow, what a year! Fork Right Farm officially began its journey just over a year ago. Allow me to illustrate what we have accomplished in our first year.
- Breeding stock count is up to: 2 boars, 3 sows, and 2 gilts
- 5 litters of piglets were born on the farm
- Ran 4 miles of electric fence (9 paddocks) and 400 feet of hose
- Built 3 lean-to shacks, 4 troughs, 2 gravity feeders, 4 gravity water barrels, and 3 stalls
- Pigs built 9 mud holes (some the size of a Volkswagen!)
- 3 groups of pigs went to freezer camp
- Purchased another tractor
- Our farm was published twice (National Young Farmer’s Coalition (NYFC) Blog and in the Bright Beacon, a local newspaper)
- Wrote 33 blog posts and published 105 Facebook posts
Of course all of this is possible because of some amazing family, great customers, and delicious pork. Thank you!
Looking back, I think some of our most memorable experiences were:
- Bringing home our first breeding stock
- Rescuing Bacon, the piglet we brought into our home for weeks and bucket-fed
- Selling our first pigs
- Putting up hay for the coming winter
- · Taking our young boys to visit the pigs
We are excited to see what the next year will bring!
Post a Comment